Transforming Kaiser Permanente into a high-performing organization that puts the patient and member at the heart of everything it does requires that unit-based teams' sponsors – managers, physician leaders and stewards and other union leaders – learn to mentor, coach, advocate and reinforce the success of their teams.
Sponsors who create an environment of continuous improvement and actively sustain high-performing, innovative teams:
- Articulate the "Case for Change" to help UBT members understand the issues facing Kaiser Permanente and their role in improving organizational performance;
- Engage frontline employees in redesigning work processes;
- Hold their own leaders and each other accountable for jointly determined performance outcomes;
- Model working in partnership through open collaboration with medical group, union and management partners – while staying true to the core expectations of his or her own role;
- Understand and promote the use of the Rapid Improvement Model (RIM) as a means to improve the performance of the entire system.
When you need help from your sponsor
The Seeking Help From Your Sponsor tool provides unit-based team leaders with guidelines to help them understand when it is appropriate and important to seek help from their team's sponsors.