Tips for Greening Your Work Life
Ways to help the environment while saving money
Kaiser Permanente has set a goal to reduce its overall greenhouse gas emissions by 30 percent by 2020, compared to its 2008 levels. Unit-based teams can play a part in greening our environment and saving money. Involve your team in tests of change around recycling or reducing supply waste.
- Coordinate with other departments, such as EVS, materials management or procurement and supply, on green tests of change — or “embed” a member of one of these departments in your UBT.
- Work with your facility’s waste-hauling vendors to find out what types of materials and supplies can be recycled, and place recycling bins strategically in cafeterias and near exits.
- Cut down on costly, wasteful single-use medical devices or supplies as part of performance improvement efforts.
- EVS teams: Switch to environmentally friendly cleaning products and supplies.
- Invite your teammates to shop for locally sourced, organic fruits and vegetables at the nearest KP weekly farmer’s market.
- Host a monthly healthy salad bar, like the UBT at San Diego’s Positive Choice clinic did in its successful effort to improve attendance.
- Replace thirsty plants for drought-tolerant alternatives, as several teams in Northern and Southern California have done.
- Go paperless: Don’t print out agendas and documents; send them out via email or show on a projector instead.
- Recruit a champion in your department to be on the lookout for new opportunities and coach others on greening their workplace.