Giving Team Members a Voice
A Food and Nutrition team creates an environment where employees feel free to voice their opinions and ideas—and can expect action to be taken on their input.See what changes got results » Share or download this video »
Find a practice to try with your team
Better Attendance Brings Big Rewards
Last-minute sick calls dropped by 40% after team members learned about the negative impact of such calls and explored time-off options.
- Decreasing last-minute sick calls protects staff members from stress and burnout that affect morale and performance.
- Educating the entire team on the impact of last-minute sick calls and rewarding them for perfect attendance.
Improving Access to Spinal Care
Specialty care team reduced evaluation wait times for Medicaid patients.
- Cutting evaluation wait times mean patients are connected to care sooner.
- Involving the entire team in the effort to administer patient evaluations
Physicians Combat Pandemic-Related Stress
A multipronged, results-oriented campaign centered around joy in work increased physician involvement in unit-based teams.
- When at risk for burnout, physicians can deepen job satisfaction by engaging in performance improvement with their teams, all while contributing their unique perspective to workplace issues.
- Showcasing small successes on one unit-based team encourages physician involvement in performance improvement efforts
Collaboration Across Teams Reduces Interruptions
Laboratory and emergency departments teamed up to decrease work interruptions caused by non-urgent test result notifications.
- Workplace interruptions can add stress, increase patient errors and cause patients to feel like they’re not receiving good care.
- Lab staff tested the secure chat messaging in Kaiser Permanente’s electronic health record system to notify Emergency Department nurses about non-urgent lab results instead of using their hands-free, voice-controlled wearable communication devices.
Saving Money Through Prescriptions
Pharmacy UBT reduced the number of high-cost prescriptions filled outside KP pharmacies and saved over $108,000 in 2021.
- When health plan members use KP pharmacies, the cost is lower for them and for the organization.
- Team members contacted Kaiser Permanente patients who filled prescriptions outside KP pharmacies and explained the benefits of ordering their medications within KP.
Ensuring Patients’ Wishes in Times of Need
Increased the number of patients completing advance directives from 20 percent to 80 percent in 3 months.
- Advance directives give patients a say in their care plan while they can make informed decisions and help make their choices known to family members and their doctor.
- Creating a process for medical assistants to verify, update and offer information about advance care directives to radiation oncology patients
Flower Power Reduces Injuries
This team reduced the risk of trips and falls by identifying the safest spot for rolling chairs in exam rooms.
- Keeping workers safe and healthy means they can be there for their patients, families and communities.
- Placing a flower-shaped decal on the floor to indicate where to place rolling chairs in exam rooms
UBT Solves Overtime Dilemma
This inpatient nursing team decreased overtime costs by improving change-of-shift communication.
- Reducing overtime costs keeps Kaiser Permanente affordable for our members and leads to workflow efficiencies that enhance patient care.
- Standardizing change-of-shift communication
Promoting Online Care
This team increased kp.org sign-ups by involving everyone in promotion efforts and hosting enrollment fairs.
- We are empowering members to manage their care with digital tools that connect them to their care team from anywhere.
- Involving the entire team in the effort to register members on kp.org
Emails Lick Stamps and Envelopes
Sending emails — rather than letters — is cheaper, faster and more convenient for our patients.
- Email provides patients with timely information about their appointments and enhances our ability to deliver safe, affordable and convenient quality care and service.
- Tracking the number of paper envelopes mailed to patients
Stress-free Service Soothes the Sleepless
A patient-centered approach to delivering supplies gets the job done.
- Timely delivery of equipment and supplies enhances patient satisfaction and speeds the diagnosis and treatment of common sleep disorders.
- Mailing sleep therapy supplies to patients, centralizing supply distribution and purchasing software to track deliveries
Pharmacy Helps Patients Get Mammograms
The team worked with Imaging department staff to identify patients overdue for breast cancer screenings and to help fast-track their mammogram appointments.
- Preventive screenings are important to detect disease early, when treatment is most effective.
- Checking patients’ electronic medical records to identify those due for breast cancer screenings